Monday, December 7, 2009

13.35 or there abouts

We viewed a twelve minute cut of Kanowna this afternoon, which I must say I had trepidations about.  However, Sarah did a really good job with dropping some shots, compressing a couple scenes and ending some scenes at different points to what was filmed, to work the story into a film for an audience and not for us.
I really liked the flow generally, but there were a couple things that I felt I needed to be in the cut to add impact and push the emotional journey of the main character.  Michael viewed the film for the first time (after the rough cut) and said he really got into the story and followed the journey.
There are a few story points I am questioning are strong or clear enough, but I am very happy with where the film is at.  On the drive home I did voice my concern to Michael, that it felt all too easy to reach this point.  I know that in this instance, I have written the film also and know the story backwards, so I am questioning my objectivity for the benefit of the film.
The next stage is to show some 'virgin eyes' the current edit and get their opinions.  This process can be fraught with ridiculous comments or suggestions, soul destroying moments, uplifting viewpoints and elation.
I have sent the Fine Cut to Geoff, our composer for him to start his process and I look forward to his views, hopefully tomorrow.
So, I need test subjects... Anyone interested?

No comments: