Friday, December 4, 2009

15 minutes, including credits...

We've got the cut down to about 16 minutes (without credits), now the fun begins.  I really like the work Sarah has done with the film and I think it is all there.  We still need to go through and ensure we've got all the best performance takes, but essentially the cut is probably close to a 'Fine Cut'.  Unfortunately it is running 1 minute over our preferred time duration of 15 minutes.  Screen Australia won't fund anything over 15 minutes and most of the big festivals don't want anything longer.

Sarah is going to tighten up the edit over the weekend and we will let Michael (Producer), see it on Monday.  Hopefully she will manage to squeeze some time out of the edit and we won't need to cut much out.  Although I have already thought of areas where we might be able to cut into, but I'll wait to see what she comes up with.  This is always the most difficult part of the process, on Iron Bird and Icarus I had specific time durations I needed to work to and each time I faced the exact same dilemma as I now do with Kanowna and each time we figured it out.  It is a good discipline to get used to, because if we were delivering for TV, we'd have an exact duration, if I was doing a TV commercial, I'd also have an exact duration to deliver.

Michael has negotiated the sound post, which is fantastic, he is still speaking to Geoffrey Russell (Composer) to see his requirements and we also need to find the funds for the conforming of the pictures, colour grade, titles, credits and output.  Exciting, but closer.

No comments: